Pelosi Submits Resolution For House Select Committee To Investigate January 6th
Nancy Pelosi has submitted a bill to form a House Select Committee to investigate January 6th. You can read the Resolution HERE.
Some of my thoughts.
- The resolution repeatedly labels the events of that day as “domestic terrorism.”
- Purpose. Includes investigating issues related to the preparedness and response of the Capitol Police and other law enforcement agencies and the “influencing factors” that fomented such an attack on our democracy.
- Composition. 13 Members of the House, 8 appointed by Pelosi and 5 in consultation with the Minority Leader McCarthy. There are reports Pelosi will appoint one Republican making the composition 7–5. It will undoubtedly be one of the Republicans who supported the bipartisan commission to investigate and who voted to impeach Trump.
- Leadership. Pelosi will appoint a chair from among the 13 members.
- Reports. In addition to a required final report, with recommendations and conclusions, the Committee may issue interim reports.
- Subpoena Power. The Chair of the Committee may issue subpoenas.
- Term/Duration. There is no specified term for the Committee to complete its work. The Committee shall terminate 30 days after submitting its final report.
Republicans had a much better deal than this that they rejected.