It’s quite a list, but at the bottom, we hit bottom. Can we go lower than having babies representing themselves in court? But first . . .
- We have a President whose first response to a white supremacist murdering a counter-protester is to say there are very good people on both sides. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who retweets white supremacist lies, senselessly spoiling relations with one of our closest allies. He still hasn’t really apologized. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who has united China with our allies in a trade war that is us against everyone. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who describes the leader of most brutal, murderous and torturing regime in the world as an honorable man who cares deeply for his people. He justified that leader’s brutality, saying he came into power young and had to be tough. In the meantime, he harshly insults the leaders of our closest allies. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who endorsed and campaigned for a man with credible allegations of pedophilia and sexual assault against young women. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who describes a convicted rapist and wife beater (Mike Tyson) as a great and tough guy. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who vulgarly bragged on tape about sexually assaulting women and abusing his position to leer (or “inspect”) naked beauty contest contestants in their dressing rooms. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who is attempting to enforce a hush agreement against a porn star. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who trumps up misdemeanor violations to separate thousands young children from their parents, often shipping them thousands of miles away, and with no recognizable plan to ever reunite them. If other nations did this we would suspect it is a pretense for child trafficking. Our nation is terrorizing children to punish their parents. But that’s not the bottom.
- We have a President who lies to the American people, telling us that those seeking asylum legally, through designated ports of entry, will be treated well. His Administration then also separates children from these parents, often shipping them thousands of miles away, and with no recognizable plan to ever reunite them. But that’s still not the bottom.
- We have a President that is forcing toddlers and and even infants to represent themselves in immigration court. In perhaps the most egregious example a one year old sucked on his bottle while an embarrassed judge asked him if the defendant understood the proceedings. Yes, this actually happened in our America.
What kind of “judge” would even participate in such a shocking sham? Of course, there was a lawyer in the room, at the other table the government had one. We actually pitted a trained lawyer, in court, against a one year old representing himself. My grandson turned one year old today and this really got to me.
I say “we” because this is us, all of us. For good or bad, as Lincoln said, this is a government “of the people.” This is happening on our watch as citizens of this nation. We are perpetuating outrages that would shock us if supposedly less civilized nations did these things.
Only an evil people would tolerate and allow such a thing. This is the bottom.